Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.
Greenfield Town Seal

Link to Home Page


Website Disclaimer

Site  This Folder
Advanced Search


The Town of Greenfield, New Hampshire
Town Clerk ~ Motor Vehicle Registrations/Dog Licenses
Absentee Ballots; Vital Records Search and Copy
Contact TypeContact Information
Town Clerk
P.O. Box 256
7 Sawmill Road
Greenfield, NH 03047
(603) 547-2782x2
(603) 547-
Mon. Evening 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Thurs. Morning 9:00 AM - Noon
Thurs. Evening 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
1st Sat. Morning 9:00 AM - Noon
Town Office
Town Meeting House Historical Marker
Town Meeting House Historical Marker
Additional Links:
Link to PageLink to PageLink to Page
The Town Clerk's Office is responsible for maintaining the town records, including vehicle registrations, vital statistics and voter lists.  If you cannot make it to the Town Clerk during her regular office hours, please call ahead of time and she will try to accommodate you when it is convenient for both of you.

Holiday Closings - Many Holidays fall on Mondays and Thursdays.  The office will be closed.  Plan ahead, do not wait until the last of the month or the first Monday, and expect the office to be open when it is a holiday.

Payment - Cash, checks or money orders only. No credit or debit cards accepted at this time.

Registration of Vehicles - You must register your vehicle in the town that you reside in.  If you are a new resident, you need to provide proof of residency in order to obtain a registration.  If you have moved, you have 10 days to make a change of address or to change your name per Statute 261:55.

You can purchase license plates and M.V. stickers from the Town Clerk for a $2.50 fee, in addition to the State registration fee. We now have: Moose, Trailer, Motorcycle, Tractor & Agri. plates here.

Special Plates: Commercial & Veteran need to be obtained from the State of NH, D.M.V. at any DMV location or the closest are in Concord, Milford or Keene.

Application for Walking Disability Privileges (for H/C plate or placard) need to be submitted to the State of NH, DMV; not the town.  See application for more detailed instructions.

Moose Plates - Fees go to State Conservation.  You can get them only at the time of your regular renewal or with a new registration.  Fees:
        New Plate (one time fee)                                $8.00
        Conservation Plate (same as vanity plate)       $30.00
        Every year thereafter at renewal                        $30.00

Dog Licenses - All dogs must be licensed by April 30th of each year, if the dog is over 3 months old.
        Male/Female: $9:00;  Neutered/Spayed: $6.50;  Owner over 65: $2.00
Be sure to bring your dogs current rabies certificate with you.  $25.00 fine, if not licensed by June 1st per RSA 466:13.

Vital Records - RSA 5-C:10 Fees for Copies, Verifications and Amendments to Vital Records
    I. A town clerk or the registrar shall be paid in advance, by any person requesting any copy or verification as provided in RSA 5-C:9, the sum of $15 for making a search, which sum shall include payment for the issuance of such copy or verification, and $10 for each subsequent copy, provided that the fee to town clerks for examination of documents and issuance of a delayed birth certificate shall be $25.

    II. The town clerk shall forward $8 of each search fee collected by the clerk under this section to the department of state for deposit in the vital records improvement fund established under RSA 5-C:15 and shall retain the remaining $7 as the clerk's fee for issuing such a copy. For subsequent copies issued at the same time, the town clerk shall forward $5 of the fee collected for each subsequent copy under this section to the department for deposit in the vital records improvement fund established under RSA 5-C:15 and shall retain the remaining $5 as the clerk's fee for issuing such a copy. The town clerk shall retain the $25 fee for a delayed birth certificate as the clerk's fee for examining documents and issuing the delayed birth certificate. Fees collected by the registrar shall be forwarded to the state treasurer for deposit into the vital records improvement fund established under RSA 5-C:15.

    III. Any correction or amendment to a record of any birth, marriage, or death shall be made by the town clerk according to the procedures established in this chapter. The town clerk shall receive for amending or correcting any record the fee of $10 to be paid by the person making application for such an amendment or correction. The town clerk shall retain the fee collected under this paragraph for making such correction or amendment. Such fee shall be waived if the error was made by the town clerk.

An Application for a Certified Copy of a Vital Record form must be completed prior to the search. Application forms may be obtained from the Town Office. Make check payable to: Town of Greenfield

Our records only go back to 1860.  Older records can be searched through the Secretary of State's office.

This is the home page for The USGenWeb Project. They are a group of volunteers working to provide Internet websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States.  This Project is non-commercial and fully committed to free access for everyone.  

Voter Registration - You may register to vote with the Town Clerk, but the voter listing is maintained by the Supervisors of the Checklist.  Please contact the Supervisors of the Checklist to obtain a copy of our voter registration list.  For a print-out of the voter list the fee is $20.00.  All new registrants must provide proof of residency, a Birth Certificate or Passport and a valid N.H. Photo I.D. with a Greenfield address.

Absentee Ballot - You may obtain an Absentee Ballot from the Town Clerk only.  An Application for Absentee Ballot form for: Presidential Election; State General Election; State Primary Election; Town Election; School Voting; or Special Elections Absentee Ballot, must be completed by a registered voter.  You cannot pick-up or submit an Absentee Ballot for your spouse or neighbor, etc...  Each individual Absentee Ballot must be given or mailed to the Town Clerk and received prior to the election day.  Application forms may be obtained from the Town Office. Plan ahead. Allow for processing time (10-20 days one way), if you are requesting by mail.

Wetland Permits - You must file Wetland Permits with the Town Clerk for a $10.00 fee.  You may obtain application forms from the DES Wetlands Bureau

Greenfield Town Office 7 Sawmill Road, Greenfield, NH 03047
Phone: (603) 547-3442    Fax: (603) 547-3004